Tuesday, November 20, 2007

No Turkey Is Safe

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and Ron and I are looking forward to a four-day weekend. As I don't like to cook, and there is really no need to cook a turkey dinner for two people, we are going out to eat. Every year we go to a Thanksgiving Buffet at either one of the hotels or restaurants in town. In recent years we have eaten at Poor Boys - a local steak house that does a fabulous buffet. We will be eating out there again on Thursday. The only downside is that we don't have any leftovers and that is always bummer. I always enjoy the turkey sandwich the next day. Oh well.

I will be making pumpkin pies though. I was given a pumpkin last month and decided that I couldn't bear to watch it rot. After many many phone calls to my mother, I managed to cook and puree the pumpkin to make real pumpkin pies. There was the morning phone call to see how to cook the gord - put it in whole in the oven at 350 for about 1hr 15 minutes, or until cooked through. I let it cool for several hours. Then there was the phone call to see how much puree I needed to make a pie so I could freeze it in portion sizes. Mom asked me what pumpkin pie recipie I normally used and I think my answer of "the one on the can of pumpkin" was a tad disapointing. Needless to say I was emailed a pumpkin pie recipie the next day. I was able to get 10 cups of puree from my pumpkin and can make 6 pies and a loaf of bread. So, my pie will be mostly from scratch - thanks to the nice people at Pillsbury I will not have to make a pie crust.

I did see a recipie in a magazine recently for pumpkin pie smores to use up that leftover pumpkin pie. What!!! Who has leftover pumpkin pie? I love having a slice of pie for breakfast the next day (and then lunch, and then dinner, and then snack....). And why would you need to find a way to use up any leftover pie? So bizzare.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day with friends and family and pets. I will be knitting Christmas presents, maybe playing with the spinning wheel, and having fun with the dogs.

No comments: